Sunday 10 May 2015

The Red Lion, (Jewellery Quarter)

My girlfriend and I decided to venture out for our Sunday lunch this week and after a quick 30 minutes of internet research we decided that we would visit The Red Lion in the heart of the Jewellery Quarter. As we pulled up outside of the pub I was not expecting very much in the way of good food, as the street was scruffy and desolate and the exterior wasn't eye catching! Upon entry I was immediately happy to see a good choice of real ale including 2 of my favorites, Butty Bach and Bathams, as well as several guest ales.I went for a guest draught ale 'Riders on the Storm' which can be seen in my beer review tab.

We had not booked a table but luckily there was a table available upstairs that we were warned that we may have to share with other customers. This was not a problem as it was a large table big enough for 10 people so we had plenty of space. 
I can't speak for my girlfriend, but I was quietly over the moon that the bar and restaurant both had TVs that was showing the football! Despite my love for football I do understand that having a TV on whilst eating out is possibly a deterrent for some. The volume was not on so this really shouldn't put people off visiting this pub. (However, if you do like having the football on in the background then they show matches from all of the top leagues!)

The menu had a reasonably large choice of meals including some pub classics, Sunday roasts and a good selection of appealing burgers. There was also a specials board to choose from.
We both decided to have a roast. Laura went for the Braised Roast Lamb and I chose the Topside of British Beef which were both served with roast potatoes, seasonal vegetables, mashed potato, Yorkshire puddings and proper gravy!  I also had a starter of Sautéed Mushrooms with Roast Garlic and Blue Cheese served on Toast.

I did not have to wait very long before my sizeable starter was served. I have to apologise at this point as I did not take a photo of this starter. I was so keen and hungry I jumped straight in! It was served in a large immaculately clean white plate, a large slice of crusty toasted bread slightly charred around the edges, a good amount of sauteed mushrooms with copious amounts of creamy blue cheese. The saltiness of the blue cheese was complimented by the subtle hints roast garlic. A generous hand full of vibrant rocket leaves were also placed on top. I have to say that this starter was excellent and something I would definitely order again.

Again, we did not have to wait long before the very friendly and polite waitress cleared the starter and served our main courses. 

Both roast dinners were very large portions and came with a good amount of meat. 
The beef was very tasty and was surprisingly succulent for a roast dinner. The vegetables were well cooked, Yorkshire pudding was crispy on the outside and soft inside. The mash was smooth and buttery and the swede mash was exceptional. I did find the roast potatoes a little firm still and not as crispy on the outside as I personally like them, but apart from that I thought the meal was great.

  
I always insist on trying Laura's food as well as my own! Her lamb tasted great but was a little dry and could have done with more gravy which i'm sure could have been brought if we had asked.



I will definitely be visiting this restaurant again as I thought that the service, food, drink and atmosphere was excellent and was not overpriced. I would urge anyone looking for a traditional relaxed Sunday dinner to try the Red Lion. 

Good beer, good food, and the football in the background! ;)



Facebook / Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment